Walnut Taco Meat | Food with Feeling
You’re going to LOVE this simple walnut taco meat that’s so easy to make and packed with nutrients. Even those skeptical of mushrooms will love this recipe and it’s great for meal prep or easy dinners too!
I teased this vegan taco meat on my blog a couple of weeks ago and I’ve received so many messages from people asking when I would be posting it. SO sorry that it took me a while but it’s HERE and it’s so so good.
I have several other vegetarian taco meat recipes on my blog (like this tofu taco meat and this tempeh taco meat) but I’m not gonna lie- this one is easily my favorite and I’m really excited for you to try it out! It most closely mimics traditional ground taco meat and is just so delicious!
And in case you need a little inspiration on how to serve this dish, I’ll be posting my ultimate taco salad recipe tomorrow morning so be on the lookout for that. This walnut meat on top of that salad is HEAVEN and better than any other taco salad that I have ever made myself at home.
I’ve seen a lot of recipes that make this overly complicated but I tested it a few different ways and found that simplicity is key here. Instead of sautéing the walnuts and mushrooms separately, we’re just going to do it all together in one big skillet.
How to make Walnut “Meat”:
One of the BEST things about this recipe is that it is SUPER simple and I love it for that.
Simply combine all of the ingredients (minus the oil) in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles traditional taco “meat”. And technically that’s it! I’ve eaten it raw and it’s really good! However, I like to heat mine up for a more traditional taste.
To do this, simple heat a little oil in a large skillet and add in the walnut mixture. Heat, stirring often, until heated through and a bit crispy on the edges. AND, that’s it! So super easy!
When making the taco salad, I served the black beans separately from the walnut taco meat HOWEVER, it’s also delicious if you mix the beans directly in with the mushroom and walnut mixture. It provides added protein and plant based nutrients PLUS tastes delicious.
I highly recommend trying this with beans if you’re looking to bulk up your meal a bit. But, the mixture is also truly delicious all on its own too.
That’s all I have for you today- I really hope that you love this recipe as much as I do. I just can’t believe how good it is! And if you do end up making it, be sure to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @foodwithfeeling or come back here to leave a comment and rating directly on the recipe (I always really love to see what y’all are making!).
Ways to use this Walnut meat:
This Walnut Taco Meat is simple to make and SUCH a delicious meat free substitute that everyone will love!
- 1 ½ cup walnuts*
- 1 ½ cup mushrooms, (about 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons of cumin
- Optional pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- In the base of your food processor, combine the walnuts, mushrooms, soy sauce, and spices (garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, s+p, and optional pepper flakes). Pulse in small spurts for about 30 seconds or until the mixture is roughly the sizes of ground meat.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Once shimmering, add in the walnut mixture and saute for 5 minutes, stirring often. The mixture doesn’t necessarily need to cook but I like to heat it through and get the edges of the “meat” a little crispy. You can cook it upwards of 10 minutes if you’d like too.
- Remove from the heat and serve! Enjoy!!
*I prefer this with walnut but you can certain try it with pecans or some other nuts
- Category: dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan taco meat, walnut meat, walnut taco meat