Vegan Lemon Polenta Cake | The Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show
This rustic vegan lemon polenta cake recipe is old world delicious. The course texture of the polenta softens when the sweet and tart lemon syrup is drizzled over the top to gently soak into the cake. This recipe will bring a bit of lemony sunshine to these long winter days. As with all our recipes this cake is whole food plant based, gluten-free, and refined oil & sugar free.
This recipe is brought to you in part by our sponsors:
1 cup polenta
1 cup rolled oats, ground into flour
1 1/2 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon lemon zest
liquid from one can of chickpeas, about 2/3 cup
1 cup pitted dates
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup dates
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or corn starch
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix together the polenta, oat flour, almond flour, baking soda and lemon zest.
- Pour the chickpea liquid (aquafaba) into another bowl and whip with a hand mixer until it forms stiff peaks, about 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients to blender and blend until dates are pulverized.
- Pour the blender mixture into the flour mixture and mix well.
- Gently fold in the whipped chickpea liquid (aquafaba) until it is well incorporated.
- Pour into a 9 inch silicone round cake pan or a lightly oiled cake pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Let cake cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the lemon syrup ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to a simmer and stir constantly until it is the thickness desired.
- Loosen the edges of the cake with a butter knife.
- Place a plate upside down on the cake pan and gently turn the pan over, holding the plate.
- Pour the lemon syrup over the cake.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.