Spicy Black Bean Soup – Food with Feeling
Smoky, slightly spicy Black Bean Soup is easy to make, ready in under 30 minutes and SO very delicious! Black beans are simmered with spices, onion, carrot, and a chipotle pepper for a warm, comforting meal. Add your favorite toppings and you’ll have a healthy dinner option that the whole family will love! Naturally vegan and gluten free.
Black bean soup is one of my favorite go-to recipes because it’s quick and easy to make, and so incredibly tasty. Using canned black beans makes this soup recipe convenient enough to make for dinner any night of the week.
To ensure that the soup tastes super fresh and bright (even though we are using canned black beans) we’re adding plenty of fresh ingredients to the recipe.
I like to use diced onion, carrot, celery and garlic to create a flavorful base. Then, a minced chipotle pepper gives the soup a lovely smokiness and the seasoning blend adds tons of flavor. Finish the soup with a generous squeeze of lime and top with any favorite toppings. We love avocado, diced tomato and fresh cilantro. This black bean soup is a MUST try!
Black Bean Soup Ingredients
This healthy black bean soup recipe is made with simple, wholesome ingredients that you might already have in your kitchen and pantry. Since there’s no meat or dairy in this recipe, this soup is naturally vegan. Here’s the lineup of ingredients:
- Olive oil. For cooking the veggies.
- Vegetables. We’re using a blend of onion, carrot, celery and garlic to make this soup flavorful, nourishing and hearty.
- Chipotle pepper in adobo. Adds a smoky flavor and a bit of heat to the soup. They’re available on the international aisles at most grocery stores. Feel free to omit for a less spicy soup.
- Spices. The perfect black bean soup spices! This recipe calls for cumin, smoked paprika, fresh thyme and a bay leaf.
- Canned black beans. Obviously! You’ll need 4 cans of black beans for loads of plant-based protein – over 26 grams per serving!
- Vegetable broth. Using vegetable broth, rather than water, adds more flavor to the soup! Feel free to add as much or as little as you like to make the soup your desired consistency.
- Salt + pepper. To bring out all of the delicious flavors!
How to Make Black Bean Soup
You may have tried other black bean soup recipes, but this one’s definitely a winner! It’s so flavorful and super easy! Here’s the simple process, but for the full, printable recipe, reference the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Sauté. The first step in making this soup is to sauté the onion, carrot and celery in a large stockpot or dutch oven over medium heat. Once the veggies are tender, add the garlic, chipotle pepper, cumin, paprika, and thyme. Stir to combine and sauté for an additional minute.
- Simmer. Now, add the rest of the ingredients – beans, broth and bay leaf into the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve. Once cooked to your liking, taste and add more seasoning, as preferred. Ladle soup into bowls, add a squeeze of lime and top with your favorite Mexican toppings and enjoy!
Optional: For a smoother black bean soup, use an immersion or high-speed blender to puree the soup to your desired consistency.
Crockpot Black Bean Soup
On the go? You can make this spicy black bean soup in your slow cooker!
- Follow steps 1 through 3 and sauté the veggies on the stovetop.
- Add the cooked veggies and the other remaining ingredients into a large slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-4 hours, or on low for 5-7 hours.
When it’s comes to serving black bean soup, there are lots of tasty options! I love to add slices of creamy avocado, fresh tomato, red onion and cilantro. Here are some other favorite toppings:
- sliced green onion
- shredded cheese
- diced radish
- greek yogurt or sour cream
- sliced jalapeño
- crushed tortilla chips or tortilla strips
- crumbled cornbread
Is Black Bean Soup healthy?
In my opinion, this vegan black bean soup is VERY nutritious! Healthy means something different to everyone, but this soup is filled with good-for-you ingredients. Black beans are a great source of many vitamins and minerals; including calcium, zinc, potassium, Vitamin B6 and folate. They also contain a good amount of fiber and protein. Aside from the black beans, this soup is made with other nutrient-rich veggies; like onion, carrot and celery.
Storing + Reheating Recommendations
This delicious plant-based soup will keep well in your fridge for about 3 days. Once the soup is completely cooled, place it in an airtight container without any added toppings and store it in the fridge.
To reheat it, pop it in the microwave using a microwave-safe bowl, or feel free to reheat it on the stovetop. Add your toppings once you’re ready to serve!
Tip: If the leftover soup seems a little too thick, simply add in some extra water or broth when you reheat.
Can you freeze Black Bean Soup?
Yes, this soup recipe is a great candidate for the freezer. Pour fully cooled soup into a freezer-safe container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. Make sure you label and date your soup! When you’re ready to enjoy the soup, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat it on the stovetop until it is warmed through.
As usual, PLEASE let me know if you make this recipe and how you like it! You can come back here and leave a comment and/or tag me on instagram (@foodwithfeeling).
Smoky, slightly spicy Black Bean Soup is easy to make, ready in under 30 minutes and SO very delicious! Black beans are simmered with spices, onion, carrot, and a chipotle pepper for a warm, comforting meal. Add your favorite toppings and you’ll have a healthy dinner option that the whole family will love!
- Heat a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil and heat until it becomes fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chipotle pepper, cumin, paprika, and thyme. Stir to combine and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the black beans, vegetable broth, and bay leaf to the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve with your desired toppings. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
- (Optional) For a smoother black bean soup, use an immersion or high speed blender to puree the soup to your desired consistency.
- Chipotles in adobo add a smoky flavor and a bit of heat to the soup. They’re available on the international aisles at most grocery stores. It could also be left out for a less spicy soup
- Vegetable broth adds more flavor to the soup! Feel free to add as much or as little as you like to make the soup your desired consistency.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: black bean soup, black beans, vegan