Italian Tofu Bake | The Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show
This Plant Based Italian Tofu Bake is the perfect dish to serve on a cold fall evening filling your home with its comforting, spice filled aroma. Hearty and full of veggies, it is best served over a bed of pasta, rice or potatoes.
This episode is sponsored in part by:
Noochy Licious Nutritional Yeast: As a special discount for our viewers: Save Up to 55% OFF Your Order
14 ounces extra firm tofu, sliced in half
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces frozen spinach
14 ounce can chopped tomatoes
6 ounce can tomato paste
1/4 cup kalamata olives, diced
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 teaspoons Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon tarragon (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
1/2 cup red win (or more vegetable broth)
1/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk (or plant based milk of your choice)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sauté onions, mushrooms, and red pepper together until the the mushrooms are sweated out and the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic halfway through cooking the onion mixture.
- Add the frozen spinach to the pan with the onion mixture when it is done cooking so the residual heat will start to wilt the spinach.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir in the cooked vegetable mixture.
- Ladle a few spoonfuls of this mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Place the tofu on top of the sauce in the baking dish and poke a bunch of holes in the tofu so that it will soak up more of the sauce.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the tofu.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Blend the sauce ingredients in the blender.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu and vegetables.
- Bake for another 20 minutes.
- Serve over noodles, potatoes or rice.