Classic Vegan Meatloaf | The Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show
This classic vegan meatloaf has been in the works here in our test kitchen for months. Using whole food ingredients to get that “meaty” texture has proven to be an interesting challenge. This meatloaf sets up with just the right firmness, texture, and smoky-tomato flavors reminiscent of the classic meatloaf you probably grew up with, but has all the amazing benefits of being fully whole food plant-based, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and refined oil-free. I hope you enjoy every bite and know that the leftovers taste even better the next day!
This recipe is brought to you in part by our sponsors:
1/2 cup buckwheat and 1/2 cup quinoa , soaked for at least 6 hours
1 onion, diced
8 oz mushrooms
3 cloves garlic
2 ribs of celery, diced
2 cups finely chopped cabbage
1 – 14 ounce can black beans
1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon grainy mustard
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons Braggs Liquid Aminos
3 tablespoons tomato paste
5 deglet dates ( or 2 medjool)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Drain liquid from buckwheat and quinoa and pour into food processor.
- Sauté onions mushrooms and garlic until the onions are translucent.
- Add the cabbage to the pan with the onions and mushrooms and cook until cabbage is wilted, making sure all moisture is reabsorbed.
- Pour into food processor along with remaining meatloaf ingredients and mix lightly.
- Let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Add all tomato topping ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Scoop meatloaf mixture into a parchment lined bread pan and smooth top.
- Pour tomato topping mixture on top and smooth.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove meatloaf from pan and place onto a serving plate.
- Will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for about 5 days.