Christmas Cake | The Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show
The holiday season is here so what better way to celebrate than with a Christmas Cake with an Orange Custard Topping. This Plant Based Vegan Christmas Cake is literally chocked full of flavor and is gluten free, refined sugar-free and oil-free! Perfect for sharing with your loved ones or just enjoying a slice with a nice hot comforting drink.
This episode is sponsored in part by:
Noochy Licious Nutritional Yeast: As a special discount for our viewers: Save Up to 55% OFF Your Order
3 1/2 cups dried fruit (cranberries, diced apricots, currants, raisins or other dried fruit that you enjoy)
2 cups black tea
2 1/2 cups rolled oats, ground into flour (don’t grind too fine)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger
3 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
2 cups unsweetened soy milk (or plant milk of your choice)
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cups walnuts
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/3 cup cashews
3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
1/4 cup diced pitted dates
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Soak the dried fruit in the black tea overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Add the oat flour, baking soda and powder, cinnamon and ginger to a mixing bowl and stir well.
- Stir the molasses into the soy milk.
- Add the milk mixture along with the nuts and orange zest to the flour mixture and stir well.
- Pour into a silicone or well greased bundt pan.
- Bake for 2 – 2 1/2 hours.
- Cool for at least 20 minutes before removing it from the bundt pan.
- Blend the orange custard ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into a saucepan on medium heat and stir until thickness desired (I like mine a pourable consistency)
- Pour custard over each slice once removed from cake.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.