Bolognese Sauce | The Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show
Bolognese is not your average pasta sauce. It is a flavorful, vegetable packed sauce that is traditionally served over wide pasta noodles and is a hearty meal in itself.
This show was brought to you in part by our sponsors:
- Complement – Our viewers save 15% OFF your order with code: WFPB15
- WellBean – Our viewers save $5 OFF a variety pack with code: TryWellBean5
1 red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces (226g) mushrooms, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup (118ml) white wine (or vegetable broth)
28 ounces (793g) pureed fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup (236ml) vegetable stock
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
sprinkle of nutmeg
optional: 2 tablespoons oats blended into 1/2 cup (118ml) water
- Sauté onions for 5 minutes using a little bit of water to keep the onions from sticking.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released all of their water and the mushrooms are almost dry.
- Add the carrots, celery, tomato paste and white wine and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for at least 30 minutes on medium low heat.
- Remove bay leaves.
- If you want to add just a hint of creaminess, then add the blended oat and water mixture to the sauce.
- Serve over a wide noodle pasta like linguini or fettuccini.